Royal Bank of Scotland England and Wales
These Terms and Conditions explain the customer's rights and responsibilities and those of The Royal Bank of Scotland plc governing the use of The Royal Bank of Scotland Direct and Digital Banking Services.
If you do not hold a Royal Bank of Scotland credit card, then the terms and conditions which relate to credit cards will not apply to you.
'We', 'Us', 'Our' means The Royal Bank of Scotland plc.
'You', 'Your' for current and savings accounts means:
- in the case of an individual, the customer who has an account(s) with us on which the Service is available. If you have a joint account, references in these terms and conditions to 'you' include both of you together and separately; or
- in the case of a limited company, any Director, Official and any other persons authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a partnership, the individual partners (in their separate capacities of partners and individuals) and any other persons authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a limited liability partnership, any member and any other person(s) authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a sole trader or professional practitioner, the customer who has an account(s) and any other person(s) authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a club, society or unincorporated body, any official and any other person(s) authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a trust, any trustee and any other person authorised by the trustees to give instructions on the account(s).
'You', 'Your' for credit card accounts means the customer who has a credit card account with us.
'Security Details' means the identifying words, codes and numbers agreed between you and us that are used in the security procedure.
'Service' means The Royal Bank of Scotland Direct and Digital Banking Services when accessed using the telephone or internet.
- You authorise us to accept and act on your instructions and to pay to and from your account(s) the amounts involved when the transaction has been authenticated by the use of the security procedure we require you to follow. You acknowledge and agree that this may be on an account that could otherwise only be operated by two or more persons.
- If you have a joint account, we will act on the instructions of either of you but you are each responsible for all transactions carried out and for the repayment of any borrowing which arises on your account.
- You must keep your Security Details secret and take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised or fraudulent use of them.
- You must not disclose your Security Details to any other person or record your Security Details in any way that may result in them becoming known to another person.
- Please note that after initial registration or enrolment we will never contact you, or ask anyone to do so on our behalf, with a request to disclose your Security Details in full. If you receive any such request from anyone (even if they are using our name and logo and appear to be genuine) then it is likely to be fraudulent and you must not supply your Security Details to them in any circumstances. You should report any such requests to us immediately.
- Where a transaction on the account is confirmed by use of the Security Details and the Service but you subsequently show was not authorised by you, you will not be liable for that transaction provided you have kept your Security Details secret, you have acted with reasonable care and in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, and you have not acted fraudulently.
- If you suspect someone knows your Security Details you must contact us immediately. If you fail to do so, you will be liable for any unauthorised transactions on your account confirmed by use of the Security Details.
- You will be responsible for all instructions received by us between the time you pass the security procedure until you exit from the Service. Please note that this includes any input errors or instructions sent by someone other than yourself so please do not leave the device you are using to access the Service unattended while you are still logged onto our website.
- Telephone calls may be recorded.
- Banking instructions received for your current and savings accounts by 6:30pm on any banking day will normally be processed that day. (You will be advised at the time you send the instruction if the instruction cannot be processed that day but will be processed the next banking day). Instructions received at any other time will be processed the next banking day.
- Provision of the Service will not give you the right to make your account overdrawn except to the extent of any overdraft which we may agree from time to time.
- You are responsible for all transactions carried out using the Service and for repayment of any debt that arises from use of the Service.
- We reserve the right to charge you and you agree to pay the charges for the Service or any part of it. Details of new charges and changes to charges will be notified to you in writing, or by a text message or e-mail, at least one month before they take effect and will also be available on www.rbs.co.uk.
Availability of the Service
- While we will make reasonable efforts to provide the Service, we will not be liable for any failure to provide the Service, in part or full, for any cause that is beyond our reasonable control. This includes, in particular, any suspension of the Service resulting from maintenance and upgrades to our systems or those of any party used to provide the Service.
Variation/Termination of the Service
- We reserve the right to change the Service from time to time and shall give you notice of any material changes.
- We may, where we consider it appropriate for you or your protection, suspend, withdraw or restrict the use of the Service or any part of the Service. We will tell you as soon as practicable if we take such action. We may also end the Service or any part of the Service at any time by giving you reasonable notice.
- We reserve the right to vary these Terms and Conditions and will give you 30 days' notice of any material changes.
- You may terminate your subscription to the Service by notifying us. The notification will not be effective until we receive it.